view of hereford racecourse
view of hereford racecourse
Hereford Racecourse History

With racing going back as far as 1771

History

Share our content:

hereford racecourse sign

Hereford Racecourse is a popular racecourse for trainers starting their horse’s careers, and to prep ahead of prestigious festivals later in the season. Operated by Arena Racing Company, the track itself is almost rectangular in shape which a length of 1m 3f and is widely regarded as a fair, galloping track.

Hereford Racecourse - A Timeline
 

  • 1771 to 1883 - Flat racing regularly takes place.
  • 1840 - Sees the first hurdle race at Hereford.
  • 1939 - Racing is ceased for World War ll
  • 1946 - Racing resumes at Hereford with £14,000 investment and land leased from Herefordshire County Council.
  • 1960 to 1969 - Hereford Racecourse is modernised, including some of the buildings still on site today.
  • 1970 to 1974 - The numbers of race days held at Hereford increased from 9 to 15, following the reallocation of fixtures after the closure of Stockton Racecourse.
  • 1975 - Saw a record number of 219 runners in one day across 14 races.
  • 2012 - Hereford Racecourse closes it’s doors.
  • 2016 Hereford Racecourse reopened with 5,000 racegoers

Sign up for the latest news, exclusive offers and details on forthcoming events.

SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
ENDORSEMENTS